UK2000 Scenery Forum
August 23, 2017, 06:18:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Disable FTX AEC for UK2000 airports

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VR Flightsim  (Read 1251 times)
Gary Summons
Administrator

« on: June 21, 2016, 07:44:08 AM »

For those who dont know yet, VR Flightsim is now a real alternative. (FSX or P3D with oculus rift vs htc vive )

Please see https://flyinside-fsx.com/

Also Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJ7flnVH5k

I'm sure not what Magic they use to go from 15fps to 90fps, but all the info I have seen looks very promising. Also you can reder in 4K and reduce to the VR Res making distance objects more visible, almost sounds too good to be true. Time to save up for my VR headset and GTX1080 and try it out
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:48:37 AM by Gary Summons » Logged

George Davison
Assistant Designer

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

I think you might need one of these:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/say-hello-to-the-worlds-first-1000-core-chip-that-runs-off-an-aa-battery/

George

Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »

Well I've just got my self a HTC VIVE, I also had GTX1070 on order but has not arrived yet.

So I tested out the VR on my current 2 year old I7 CPU, DDR3 1666Mhz with a Nvidia GT770 GPU, I was not expecting good results, but I was wrong, most VR software, including Elite Dangerous ran just fine at 90FPS, the only exception was the 'The Lab' which was dropping frames.

Then came the big test, I installed FSX STEAM edition, as I dont want to mess with my normal FSX and then installed the 'Flyinside' Demo version.

I must say the results were very impressive, FS was doing 90FPS in he Vive and 15FPS on the PC screen, this is done on purpose by the software and hardware. This was just default stuff, no addons have been added. I was using the default FSX missions and everything was as smooth as silk and the sense of immersion was great.

By far the best was the Reno air race mission, Its hard to describe how realistic it is to have free movement in the cockpit, 100ft off the ground in 90' bank looking left, all in 3D, you can totally beleave it's for real, for example normally crashing your aircraft on a normal screen in nothing,  but you do fear it slightly in VR

Now the bad news, this only really works in situations that you can live without the keyboard, you have to setup as much as possible via your controllers, mouse is effectively useless, and removing the head set to see the keyboard is not good. Also it's early days for VR, both the Vive and Oculus have there issues, I would like to have a higher resolution and the FOV is just 110'.  To be spectacular we need 180 FOV and 4K headsets, but Im sure in a few years we will.

This will not replace normal monitors and will not replace cockpit building, lets face it flying a PMDG 737 at 40,000ft and trying to setup your FMC is not going to work in the current VR and having the headset on for a 2hour flight will become very heavy, but it's a hell of lot of fun as a new sub-division of FS if just want to fling it around in VFR for 30minutes.

I'll report what happens when I start to install addons and it's performance
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:09:26 PM by Gary Summons » Logged

David Belsey
BETA Tester

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »

Curiosity got the better of me, and I took advantage of the 'Summer of Rift' sale which reduced the price of the Oculus Rift with Touch controllers by 200.  I also bought the Flyinside FSX software.

Installation went ok apart from a few hiccups (I had to disconnect my 2nd monitor, also uninstall the DX10 Fixer), I have everything working apart from a few aircraft which crash the sim.  I have now upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and performance is fine ..... Flyinside performs some magic to get 90fps in the headset, which keeps everything smooth.  It also has the facility to put virtual windows in the cockpit, which enables access to LittleNavMap, Active Sky Next etc, without removing the headset.

The Good:  VR is just as realistic as could be, 2D monitors cannot compare to the immersion of this - I have new respect  for Spitfire pilots!

The Bad:  Resolution in the headset is poor compared to a monitor, and this is where I need some assistance.  Despite trawling the net for hours, I cannot find any useful advice on how to improve the graphics in the headset.  In particular, should I be using NVidia Inspector or the NVidia Control Panel ..... if so, what settings should I use.  Should they be applied to fsx_Flyinside.cfg or to the Oculus Rift?

In FSX it has defaulted to Bilinear and no Antialiasing - if I change either of these the sim crashes.  I'm sure there are improvements to be made, but I just don't know how to achieve them.

I have an overclocked GTX980 and had considered upgrading to a GTX 1080, but I am not convinced it will provide any benefit in FSX.

All comments gratefully received.

Dave.

George Davison
Assistant Designer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »

Have you checked the Avsim forum?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/796-virtual-reality-vr-hardware-and-games/

David Belsey
BETA Tester

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »

Hi George,

I've looked at quite a lot there, but haven't seen anything useful relating to graphic settings.

Having said that, I have read that Supersampling is required, but nowhere does it say how to apply it.

Dave.

Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »

I use HTC Vive, it's a bit brighter than the Rift and seams to be a common view, I also ordered the Rift 3 weeks ago, but has not arrived yet, I will not be using it much, but I cant resist a bargain either.

Yes you must use Supersampling!,  I know on the VIVE everyone uses it and it makes such a massive difference, I generally use 2.0X, that means the GPU is rendering 2X the native resolution of the HMD, the headset then reduces it back the display pixel size, everything is SOooo much sharper. Plus you DONT need AA turned on in software, as the super sampling process does AA by it's reduction.

Bad news is there is a performance impact, I'm lucky enough to have 1080TI, but I think your be ok with your standard 1080+FSX+Flysinside

On the SteamVR, it's a  simple slider, but I'm not sure about the Rift ,Try:
https://www.vrheads.com/everything-you-need-know-about-supersampling-oculus-rift

I'm waiting for technology to improve so we can have proper 4K Headsets+140' FOV (not that Chinese rubbish) , as I agree even with Supersampling you cant read the cockpit dials without moving you head forward every time. Also P3Dv4 in VR, sucks!  even on a overclocked 1080TI with asynchronous reprojection (half the FPS is 'guessed' from the last frame) P3D just cant do it.  When the tech finally has the speed to cope, it will be the most immersive FS experience you can have, at the moment its just gets us excited and teased, but not quite there yet.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:05:17 AM by Gary Summons » Logged

Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »

On a side note. Once you get Super-sampling to work, go try out Elite Dangerous, it sort of a flight sim Smiley

Go down to a planet and fly amounst the Canyons, its even better then FSX airraces.

David Belsey
BETA Tester

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »

Thanks for that info Gary, it bears out what I learned today ....

I found a post with details of edits to the FlyInside ini file for even higher resolutions.  I have now upped my GTX980  to 1.77 which with a FOV of 103% gives a good improvement.  It is possible to go over 2 with a larger FOV, but that is above the pay grade of my GTX 980, so I have one of these arriving on Tuesday:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XT3TVKP/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Well, you can't take it with you , can you?

Dave.

P.S.  I have heard about Elite Dangerous and it's a fair bat I may add that to my catalogue  Wink

Christopher Low
BETA Tester

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »

I could almost buy an entire PC for the cost of that 1080Ti Shocked
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:47:08 PM by Christopher Low » Logged

David Belsey
BETA Tester

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »

Certainly could Chris, but then what would you be able to run on it?   Wink

Dave.

Pages: [1]
  Print