UK2000 Scenery Forum
September 23, 2017, 04:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All Products now for compatible with Prepar3D V4

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Persistent and frequent long pauses  (Read 1418 times)
Paul Elliott

« on: November 21, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »

I've split this off from another thread in the VFR Region 3 forum. Hope you don't mind.

When flying with the new v2 airport packs installed, I have the full 3 second stutters flying around Britain. It's a bit of a nightmare, you have to freeze and not touch anything, you know how twitchy FSX can get with repeated inputs! If I untick the VFR airports, or even reinstall the v1 airports, the pauses do not occur. Currently I have uninstalled and reinstalled the v1 packs. Just completed a flight from Yorkshire to the isle of Wight without a single pause or notable stutter.

I tried unticking road traffic and AI options as well as all of the base image options, to no avail. The scenery is stunning and I was loathe to go back to version 1. But ... its about flying isn't it.

Gary ... is there any way I could compromise? Is there a way, for example, for me to replace the v1 statics with the v2 statics???

- Paul Elliott
Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »

I dont see why changing the static would solve your problem. You need to look into the various FSX.cfg settings you can apply. But the  first thing you should do is lock your FPS, that will create a time buffer for your CPU to catch up and hopefully remove the pause. So if you get an average of 35FPS, lock it to 30FPS.

Paul Elliott

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:10:42 PM »

Hi Gary, thanks, I will try locking fps tonight. I should have fps to spare over Orbx England.
I wasn't thinking the static models would fix the problem, I just thought I might be able to improve my VFR version 1 airfields by somehow importing the (nicer!!) version 2 static models.

- Paul Elliott
Paul Elliott

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:50:44 PM »

Sadly this wonderful package is still unusable for me. Locking fps, changing Affinity Mask settings, updating my card to GTX 970, still get the pauses at every single airport approach. I woll leave the software installed for another week while I think of new things to try....

- Paul Elliott
Christopher Low
BETA Tester

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »

You may want to have a look at the latest posts in the following thread, Paul....

http://www.uk2000scenery.org/forum/index.php?topic=8506.0

It seems that there may be a connection between these pauses and the animation BGL files for the radars. I think that Gary is intending to modify these files for testing, so there may be hope on the horizon....

Paul Elliott

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »

Hi Christopher, yes, thanks! I just spotted this and went off to delete the radar-windsock file from volume 3, but every airfield has its own file! However, I did some testing in batches of 10 then 5 and worked it down to Linton on Ouse. I untick Linton, everything seems OK. I have just added UKMIL's version, so I am no worse off at all. I must now check vols 1 and 2!

Thanks again!

- Paul Elliott
Christopher Low
BETA Tester

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »

Ah, I see that you are referring to Volume 3 (even though you have posted in the VFR Airfields Volume 1 section). This volume does indeed have individual radar BGL files for each airfield, but Volumes 1&2 have them all packed into a single BGL file per volume. This seems to be the source of the problem for the other users, but maybe you have isolated a specific problem with Volume 3 here.

Paul Elliott

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »

I have the same problem with all three packages, so I'm looking in all 3 forums for a solution! I may have used a flawed testing regime though, so I'm not sure I have solved my vol 3 problem. More testing ...

- Paul Elliott
Paul Elliott

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »

Mmm, no ...  taking out the radar-sock file does not solve the problem in vol 1, and it seems that it is individual airports causing the freezes, rather than 'one bad apple' that affects the entire package. I noticed that airfields I was tracking down as the culprit were always those airfields 6-7 miles ahead of my track. This happens on all 3 packages. What is is, though, baffles me. 

- Paul Elliott
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: