UK2000 Scenery Forum
September 19, 2017, 10:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Disable FTX AEC for UK2000 airports

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxi paths on Runways  (Read 608 times)
Ray Monk

« on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »

Only recently found that I had purchased Luton (EGGW) Xtreme several years ago and have installed it. As I wanted to do some tweaks to the parking spot airline codes I went into the relevant file with my ADE software (which I have been using for many years and have re-structured many airports around the world for my own use.)

I am interested to find that the runway not only has the standard runway taxi path (Black) but also has several other taxi paths (green) which also run along the runway just off from the centreline. I have never come across this situation before and would ask if anyone knows what is gained by having these 'extra' paths along the runway?

Also, I have read in the charts for EGGW that taxiway C is not normally to be used by aircraft to leave the runway (due to interaction with aircraft on taxiway A, I believe) but for FSX users would it not be better to make C usable to enable landing aircraft to get off the runway quicker thus allowing a higher turn round of departing and landing aircraft?
Christopher Low
BETA Tester

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »

They help to control the actions of AI planes after landing. Sometimes, AI planes can do annoying things (like trying to turn halfway between two exits; a pet annoyance of mine). Adding the green taxi paths gives them a way of "exiting" the runway before they have actually left it! This is a bit "trial and error", and is far from perfect (since AI planes can land in different places along the runway, or brake to a halt over variable distances). Other green taxi paths are used for departing AI planes at airports (like Luton) that require a backtrack up the runway to the threshold. As for taxiway Charlie, this can be used in the FSX/P3D (and presumably) FS9 versions of UK2000 Luton Xtreme.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:38:41 PM by Christopher Low » Logged

Ray Monk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »

Thanks for your comments.

I have done loads of varying sizes of airports and, apart from putting in some 'turn-round 180 degree' paths at the ends of runways for departing aircraft, I have never had any landing AI do anything but touch down, stop and then continue taxying to the next available exit. I will create a 'green path-less' version of EGGW Xtreme and see what happens (leaving the end turn-rounds in though).
At it stands, none of my AI ever use "C". This causes a lot of delay for the next arriving aircraft and those waiting to take off. I will see if using my normal techniques will allow "C" to come into use or see if this causes any unforeseen difficulties.
Ray Monk

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »

OK, for possible general interest. Luton Xtreme EGGW.

I have removed all of the Taxi paths from the runway, except for the turn-round sections at the ends, and reconnected and simplified the runway centreline taxi path (black in ADE). I have also made connections from the centreline path to taxiway C.
Have also revised parking spot codes and sizes to suit my AI (TrafficX based) and added some business aviation parking.

Have had no problems with aircraft behaving strangely on the runway and have a good improvement on aircraft exiting the runway allowing for the following aircraft to land or the waiting aircraft to depart - thus a greater turn round of traffic. This may not comply strictly with the real-world charts (although when I have visited the real Luton, I see aircraft using C) but I prefer it as I have done.

In light of discussions on the ADE forums, I have also split taxiway A into multiple sections as it is suggested this improves the FSX traffic flow if there is a long section of taxiway with a common designation. I am waiting to see if this has caused any problems.

Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »

I have also noticed AI taxi a lot faster of Taxi paths, compared to runway paths, those clearing the runway quicker.

Ray Monk

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »

If an landing plane leaves the 'runway path' and moves onto a 'taxi path', will FSX not think it has 'left the runway' and, possibly, clear the runway for another arrival or even a departure? If so, there could be a clash/crash?
Christopher Low
BETA Tester

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »

The taxi paths are separate from the runway link. ATC will not detect that the AI plane has left the runway until it uses a designated exit (apart from on those annoying occasions when the AI planes try to turn halfway between taxiway exits).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:57:50 PM by Christopher Low » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: