UK2000 Scenery Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:32:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Xmas Sale Now On!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demo EGLCX into P3Dv4  (Read 260 times)
Geoff Bryce

« on: November 29, 2017, 05:54:16 AM »

I have just downloaded, what I thought was the P3Dv4 version of EGLC...When I use its installer, it is complaining about not finding FSX and point me to it etc.

I seem to recall when I downloaded the update for EGLL it seemed to download a UK2000 Installer.exe and eventually, all went well. I finished with a E:\UK2000\Common Library etc including,  UK2000 Installer.exe, UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme Install.log etc. And in my Documents folder>Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder with the UK2000 Common Library and the UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme folders

So, what is the correct way of loading EGLC so that it finds its way into my xml system along side EGLL

Regards

Geoff
Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

There is no London City DEMO for P3DV4, so are you still talking about the DEMO?.

Geoff Bryce

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »

Hi Garry, Thanks for the quick reply.

Ummm, no demo? I have attached screen shot of your page showing London City and saying, **Purchased Product now Prepar3D v4 Compatible** and underneath this, saying Try before you buy - Download DEMO version...It only shows though, FSX and FS9

So, I must be reading this picture all wrong.

Geoff

* LONDON CITY DEMO.JPG (41.57 KB, 786x282 - viewed 96 times.)

Geoff
Geoff Bryce

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »

Hi Garry,
I did some more investigating about EGLC and my other UK2000 - EGLL, and the 'other' sceneries .. Basically, I think my P3Dv4.1 add-on scenery locations is a mess. I seem to have sceneries all over the place in a few Scenery.cfg files. More on this later...

When I tried to add EGLC, it came up with a statement of the current path I was installing EGLC to, AND a late warning, "I can't find your 'Scenery.cfg' file, please add this to your scenery library manually". Ummm, what does this mean, as there are a few Scenery.cfg files!!

When I fired up P3d, it did not find EGLC, maybe because I did not load info into one of "many possible" Scenery.cfg files? So, to tidy things up, I went into add remove programs and uninstalled EGLC, and when I went to uninstall EGLL, it was not there. I did find it on a flight sim drive complete with Common Library, UK Common Library, Common_Library_package_3.43.exe, InstallerScript, UK2000 Heathrow Extreme Install.log and, UK2000 installer.exe. So, some how, I must have loaded EGLL incorrectly?, however, somehow it appears to work ok. So that I can get these sceneries loaded "correctly", how do I uninstall EGLL. Simply remove the UK2000 folder and contents?

When I fire up P3d, I see mention of UK2000, Options>Add-ons, UK2000 Common Library and UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme and now, with a bit of looking about, I also find UK2000 Common Library and Heathrow Xtreme in my Prepar3D v4 Add-ons...so, maybe this is where it is working from.

I seem to have a few Scenery.cfg files:
MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg E:\P3D (which has UK2000 common Library and Heathrow in it)
Scenery.cfg...C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
Scenery.cfg...C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatli\fsx
Scenery.cfg...C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatli\Prepar3Dv4
Scenery.cfg.MD5...C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatli\fsx
Scenery.cfg.MD5...C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatli\Prepar3Dv4
Scenery.cfg.orig...C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
Scenery.cfg.PSSCBAK...C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
Scenery.cfg.sce...C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

When I load a UK2000 scenery, where should it be loaded? I presume, all of them in the same place to avoid the message... "I can't find your 'Scenery.cfg' file, please add this to your scenery library manually"..If this does happen, what cfg text do we have to add and in which Scenery.cfg file?

My reason to try and get this all working correct...as it should be..is you have a sale right now and I want to get several  UK2000 sceneries, but I need to understand what has to happen regarding loading as I only have P3Dv4, and all the last installation (EGLC) only referred to FSX...

An interesting post..https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=125600  There are many of us totally confused now that there are several load methods, with varying degrees difficulty setting scenery priority...eg, making sure that the common library is below all UK2000 sceneries.

Regards

Geoff
Gary Summons
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:08:32 PM »

The UK2000 common Library layer does not matter.

Where you install your addon is up to you. The Official LockHeed Martin location is Documents\Prepar3D v4 Addons\

This is default UK2000 location unless you change it.

There are also 2 ways to adding scenery to P3Dv4, the old classic scenery.cfg/scenery library GUI interface and the new (LM Recommended) XML file methods, which appear in the P3D Addons menu AND the scenery library.

Both the Official LM recommended folder location(documents) and XML install and not liked by many, me included, so this is why its a mess, but untill LM force one way or the other we will continue to have mixture.

Christopher Low
BETA Tester

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:09:45 PM »

Why is it that a lot of users do not like the XML method of installing scenery addons? I still use P3D v3, and although I will eventually have to upgrade to v4, I will only do so when everything has been sorted out (ie. when my existing scenery packages work properly from the start without excessive messing about, and all AI planes are compatible etc). It doesn't help when the freeware AI plane community seem to enjoy shooting themselves in the foot over what I consider to be minor problems (for example, the P3D conversion of the FMAI BAe 146; quite why this can't be released if every effort has been made to contact the original author is something that I will never understand).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:11:46 PM by Christopher Low » Logged

Geoff Bryce

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 03:14:38 AM »

Hi Gary, I will uninstall my UK2000 EGLL and start again. Some how, I must have made a wrong turn somewhere and EGLL is installed IN the Documents folder. I thought the idea was for the addon xml file in the documents Prepar3Dv4 folder to be a small file pointing the install of the scenery from another folder, eg, the large flight sim drive, not the small system drive. All the other addon entries do this.

Anyway, I will sort out what UK2000 sceneries to buy, get them while the sale is on. I will carry out an audit of all the addons, if they have an xml addon and where the scenery is currently located.

I have no issues with the xml addon method, as I use this for the AI flight plans very well. It appears to me some developers when they changed their addon loaders due to P3Dv4, some went about it differently, leaving us end users with a mish-mash of installs. Maybe LM will address this, as well as setting scenery priorities. 

Geoff
Norman Dean
AFCAD Designer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »

I thought the idea was for the addon xml file in the documents Prepar3Dv4 folder to be a small file pointing the install of the scenery from another folder, eg, the large flight sim drive, not the small system drive. All the other addon entries do this.
well as setting scenery priorities. 

When you install the scenery you have the option to choose where you want it to be stored. It can be in the documents folder, but you can specify another location if you wish. I have used the xml method for some time, for all add-ons where I can, and I do not have any in the documents folder, only the xml files. It works extremely well, and I have never experienced a problem. An added advantage is that if you update P3D you do not have to reinstall all your add-ons.

Norman

Geoff Bryce

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »

Agree Norman, I am amazed at how powerful and far reaching that little xml file is. No doubt, it was my stuff up when I loaded EGLL onto my C:\ Drive. I recall a lot happening on that load with different installers etc. My aim is to minimise use of my C:\ Drive, due to it being my 250GB SSD system Drive and not being large..by todays standards, I do not want it filled up with non operating system stuff, otherwise a migration will be needed to a bigger drive.

I will try to be more careful next time I reload a UK2000 scenery onto my P3Dv4.

Geoff
Geoff Bryce

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »

OK, I have just worked out what happened with my EGLC "demo" load.....I did not realise until the penny just dropped, the implication of the advice, **Purchased Product Now Prepar3D V4 Compatible**..This must mean the demo version of this product is only FSX and FS9 compatible...So, the deal is with EGLC, if you have P3Dv4, you have to buy it to try it.

After removing my badly installed EGLL, I re-downloaded EGLL again, as well as the update, the updated common Library and the installer..And it loaded great. Worried me a bit when the installer said it was loading into C:\...but saw it was to \temp, and I think it did advise it would remove the initial load, and the installer did ask me eventually about where to load it, and after it did load to my Flight sim drive, it cleaned out the temp C:\ load and just left the xml load file...and more importantly, EGLL worked great...just amazing detail.

Geoff
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: